Are you at risk for glaucoma? You could be! Anyone can get glaucoma, but some people are at higher risk than others. Knowing who is at risk for glaucoma and how to protect yourself from this condition is important. Seeing the eye doctor in Brookhaven GA is most important of all, because your eye doctor can identify when you have glaucoma – even when you aren’t displaying symptoms. Here’s what you need to know.
Glaucoma Risk Factors
Below are some of the risk factors that could put you in a category of people who are more likely to get glaucoma than others:
- Age. People who are over the age of 60 are more likely to get glaucoma, especially if they also have other risk factors as well.
- Pressure in the eye. Intraocular eye pressure caused by fluid in the eye is one of the causes of glaucoma. If you have high intraocular eye pressure, then you’re at risk. The extra pressure from fluids in your eye could be doing damage.
- Genetics. Did you have a grandparent or a parent who has glaucoma? Then you could be at risk yourself.
- Various medications and medical conditions. Certain medical conditions and medications can put you at risk for glaucoma – ask your eye doctor.
- Certain eye conditions. If you’re very near sighted, far sighted or if you have had certain types of eye injury or eye surgery, you could be at risk. Your eye doctor can tell you more.
How to Protect Yourself From Glaucoma
To protect yourself from glaucoma, see the eye doctor as often as they recommend. If you do get glaucoma, it’s critical to get glaucoma services in Brookhaven GA from your eye doctor. Call Brookleigh Family Eyecare today to make an appointment.