If you suffer from dry eye, you may notice that the problem gets worse in summer. By making good lifestyle choices and by managing the environment where you spend your time, you can alleviate some of the problems that could be leading to dry eye. As your eye doctor in Brookhaven GA, we can help you get treatment for your condition. Here’s what to know.
What Environmental Factors Can Make Dry Eye Worse?
Summer can be a time when some people experience more severe dry eye because of changes in the environment. Below are some of the causes of summer dry eye.
- Dry air. Running the air conditioner can lead to dry air inside your home, causing tears to evaporate faster.
- Allergies. Allergies can cause a number of changes to the eyes, including dry eyes, eye redness and puffiness.
- Swimming pools. Chemicals from the pool can wash away your eye’s tear film.
- Sun exposure. Sun exposure can cause tears to dry up.
- Smoke. Smoke from barbecues and fire pits can cause excessive tearing and eye dryness.
How Can You Manage Dry Eye In Summer?
There are many things you can do to help control dry eye in summer. Protecting your eyes from the sun with wrap around sunglasses, running a humidifier in your home and wearing goggles in the pool are all ways that you can alleviate this problem.
You can also seek dry eye care in Brookhaven, GA. At Brookleigh Family Eyecare, we can diagnose your dry eye, recommend lifestyle changes that can help you manage the problem, and prescribe medicine that can help as well. Call today to make an appointment with your eye doctor.